IN THE PAPERS
In the papers 16 May
16-05-2007
by Deirdre McArdle
Thousands of pensions delayed due to technical problems | Motorola unveils new product range
The Irish Times reports that as a result of problems with a EUR27 million computer system at the Department of Social and Family Affairs in Sligo, as many as 14,000 people have had to wait up to six months to start receiving their contributory old age pension, according to the Civil Public Services Union (CPSU). Staff at the pensions services office in Sligo are set to begin limited industrial action next week in protest over their difficulties in delivering services due to technical problems with the system.
The same paper reports that Sun 3C Media, a Beijing-based media group that's backed by U2 manager Paul McGuinness and developer Sean Mulryan has acquired Cec-Unet, a Chinese firm that provides electronic top-up credit for mobiles for EUR13.74 million. Sun 3C Media plans to use Cec-Unet to provide a platform for Sun 3C to introduce top-up services in other regions in China.
The paper also says software piracy in Ireland has fallen for the fourth consecutive year and, at 36 percent, is now at the European average, according to the Business Software Alliance (BSA). Read the full story on ENN.
BT Ireland has announced that its chief executive Danny McLaughlin will step down on 1 July 2007, says the Irish Times. He will be replaced by Chris Clark, currently director for business transformation with BT retail. Read the full story as reported by ENN.
The Irish Independent reports that Ireland's plans for broadband roll-out in metropolitan areas need to be more closely examined to make sure that State aid rules are not being broken, said EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes, speaking at a conference on "Bridging the Broadband Gap" on Tuesday. She said the Commission can in certain circumstances allow State aid if it is clear that market forces will not or cannot fill the high-speed communications gap. However, in what she called 'grey areas' where services are already available in some parts, "the Commission needs to assess in more detail whether State intervention is necessary and proportionate."
The same paper says that while holidaymakers could be in for cheaper mobile bills when travelling abroad following new EU proposals on roaming charges, the proposed caps on the cost of roaming will be limited to three years. EU president Germany and lawmakers from the European Parliament agreed a preliminary deal on price caps earlier in the day. "We have decided to have a sunset clause. After three years this arrangement will come to an end," Paul Ruebig, a centre-right lawmaker, told a news conference.
The Irish Examiner reports that ComReg has announced revised guidelines that allow existing wireless broadband providers to extend their service area to 20km, as noted by ENN.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Sony fell deeper into the red in the first quarter as a result of heavy losses at its games division. Despite the poor quarterly results, the consumer electronics giant remained upbeat and forecast a sharp rise in earnings for the year ahead as a recovery in its consumer electronics business gathers momentum.
The Financial Times reports Motorola answered its critics on Tuesday as it revealed a range of new handsets including a new 3G version of the Razr called the Razr2. Other new handsets include the Moto Z8, a next generation multimedia phone, the Rokr Z6 handset optimised for music, a new version of the company's BlackBerry-style Moto Q and the W-Series of low-cost mobile phones designed for the mass market.











Caped Koala Studios has built a virtual world for kids, combining education and social networking 