IN THE PAPERS
In The Papers 15 February
15-02-2010
by Sylvia Leatham
Consumers willing to pay for online content | Google to revamp Buzz set-up
The Irish Examiner says that former Intel chairman Craig Barrett has predicted Ireland will end up an economic backwater if we do not radically reform how we educate our workforce. In an interview on RTE's Marian Finucane Show, Barrett said a significant investment in mathematical and scientific teaching was required if the country was to compete with emerging economies in China, India and South America. "The future of Ireland's economy will be directly related to quality of workforce and the quality of Ireland's workforce will be dependent on education capability," he said.
The Irish Times reports that mobile companies are gathering in Barcelona, Spain, for the four-day GSMA Mobile World Congress 2010. The event will showcase a slew of new handsets, with HTC tipped to unveil new models, along with Samsung and Sony Ericsson. LG has already announced its new Android phone, the GT450, while there is speculation that Nokia will show off its C Series phones. A number of Irish exhibitors will also attend the event, including Jivo Technologies, Redmere, Digital Reach Group, Openet, Anam Mobile and Newbay.
In more news of the Mobile World Congress, the Financial Times says that Microsoft will unveil a new mobile software platform at the show, Windows Mobile 7. Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer is also expected to confirm that the first devices loaded with the software will be available before the end of this year. Ballmer is set to focus squarely on the design of the new software user interface of the new Windows Mobile. This decision reflects a broader push inside Microsoft to bring a bigger element of 'cool' to its famously functional products.
The paper also says that more consumers are willing to pay for online content than previously thought, according to a global survey by Nielsen. One-third of 27,000 people surveyed in 52 countries said they would consider paying to access newspapers' websites. Fifty-eight percent said they would not pay, while 8 percent already subscribe to some sites. Consumers under 35 years old were more willing to pay than their elders, the survey also revealed.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Bharti Airtel has said it is in exclusive talks to buy the African assets of Kuwait's Mobile Telecommunications, based on an enterprise value of USD10.7 billion. This is the latest bid by Bharti Airtel, India's largest mobile phone operator, to enter into a fast-growing market overseas. The exclusivity period will end on 25 March, Bharti said in a statement.
The paper also reports that Google is to revamp the set-up process for its newly launched social networking service Buzz. In a blog post on Saturday, Google product manager Todd Jackson said Buzz would no longer automatically subscribe users to follow the postings of their close Gmail contacts, a move that had raised privacy issues among Gmail users. Instead, after reviewing users' Gmail contacts, it will only suggest people that users should follow but leave whether to do so up to them. "We're very sorry for the concern we've caused and have been working hard ever since to improve things based on your feedback," wrote Jackson.
The Sunday Tribune says the iPad could be a major disappointment to Irish consumers because they will not be able to download movies and TV shows, one of the big draws for the device. Critics say this may limit its success in Ireland, despite being hailed as 'revolutionary' by Steve Jobs. US researcher Jeff Orr said it would be a major stumbling block for the iPad, and Apple said there are no plans to yet to make film and television shows available to Irish customers. Orr said the iPad's "closed ecosystem" will be the downside of the device.
The same paper reports that more than three-quarters of children between nine and 12 years of age have their own mobile phone, according to a government-funded survey. Some were as young as six when they got their first phone, researchers said, and more than 20 percent had a phone by the time they were eight years old. Experts say the use of mobile phones can leave preteens open to potential risks, including bullying text messages or unsolicited contact from strangers. Some 87 percent of nine to 16 year olds said they owned a mobile phone, with half using pre-paid phones. More than 40 percent pay for their own phone use, with 26 percent admitting their parents pay for the phone and a further 26 percent saying they share the costs.
The paper also says that auction website eBay is playing down speculation that it will create more jobs in Dublin. The company has been looking at its options with regards to renting larger office space than it currently occupies, sparking rumours it will hire hundreds of employees. A spokesman for the company said eBay was unlikely to move from its current base and confirmed it had a break option in its lease but said it was only "prudent" to see if it could get better value elsewhere.
The Sunday Business Post says Dublin is set to get its first Apple Premium Reseller outlet located opposite Trinity College on Grafton Street. The centre, which will be run by CompuB, will sell Apple's complete range of products, offer training and locate a service centre on another two floors. It is due to open in March.
The Sunday Times reports that the recent attack on Boards.ie was carried out by a Latvian hacker. The attack last month saw thousands of login details stolen in what the police believe was long-term identity fraud. The incident has become the subject of an international inquiry with Interpol, the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation (GBFI) and the Latvian police. Security forces traced the IP address to Latvia last month.
The same paper reports that Eircom said it will not implement the 'three strikes' agreement it hammered out with the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) in January last year. Under the deal, Eircom would disconnect illegal filesharers after three warnings. Piracy-tracking software is planned to trace IP addresses, and the information would be passed to Eircom, who would identify the customer. However, the office of the Data Protection Commissioner has indicated that using the IP addresses in this way is not "fair use" of personal information. The High Court is now being asked to rule on whether the concerns will mean the settlement cannot be enforced.
The paper also writes that a new case against social networking website Bebo could set a precedent. A motorbike dealer is suing the site after a fake profile was set up in its name. The page, set up in the name of Derek Traynor, was used to post derogatory comments about biking champion Martin Finegan, who died in a crash in May 2008. Traynor claims he suffered threats and his business suffered as a result. The page was removed after two weeks. Bebo gave the IP address of the suspected culprit, traced to south Dublin, to the Gardai.
Free! "In the papers" email newsletter -- get the full text to your in-box every business day. Email itp@enn.ie with 'subscribe' in the subject line.











Caped Koala Studios has built a virtual world for kids, combining education and social networking 