NEWS IN BRIEF
In the papers 23 August
23-08-2007
by Sylvia Leatham
New cancer study shows mobile phone risks | Top execs leave Alcatel-Lucent
The Irish Times says that a bidding war has broken out for iSoft, the troubled UK software firm that is implementing a major project for Ireland's Health Service Executive. Australian healthcare technology group IBA Health has just tabled a cash bid of STG0.69 a share, which would value the company at STG166.3 million. Last month German firm CompuGroup bid STG0.66 a share, while IBA had previously made an all-share offer worth about STG138 million.
The paper also says that Trintech has posted second-quarter revenues of USD8.9 million. Read the details of Trintech's results on ENN.
The same paper notes that eTrip Services has signed a seven-year contract with car park operator Q-Park Group, as reported by ENN on Wednesday.
According to the Irish Independent, Cardpoint, the UK's largest independent cash machines operator, has emerged as the leading contender to take control of Dublin-based e-payments company Alphyra. Cardpoint would acquire the 67 percent stake in Alphyra currently held by private equity firm Balderton Capital. Sources said that Cardpoint would effectively be carrying out a reverse takeover of its larger Irish peer and would likely take on Alphyra chief John Nagle as the boss of the enlarged group.
The same paper says that E-net, the Limerick-based firm that runs the Government's MANs, almost doubled its cumulated losses in the year ended April 2006, according to accounts filed with the Companies Office. E-net reported losses of EUR7.8 million in the 12 months, compared with EUR4.1 million for the previous year.
The Irish Examiner reports that Irish software executives are this week visiting Australia and New Zealand. Irish IT firms already do business worth EUR185 million with Australia's software industry. Several Irish firms are taking part in a series of networking events in Australia, beginning with a showcase seminar in Sydney on Thursday.
The paper also says that people who have been using mobile phones for more than ten years face an increased risk of certain types of tumour, according to new medical research. A review of 18 different international studies by a team of cancer specialists, led by oncologist Dr Lennart Hardell of the Orebro University in Sweden, has concluded that there is "a consistent pattern of increased risk" for some brain tumours from using mobile handsets.
According to the same paper, three Irish soldiers are due to be charged next week in relation to a YouTube "gun pointing" controversy in Liberia. Last June, a clip was uploaded to the video-sharing site which appeared to show Irish peacekeeping soldiers pointing their weapons at locals in Liberia and pretending to fire. One of the soldiers is expected to be charged with conduct which would prejudice the good order and discipline of the Defence Forces. He is also charged with uploading the video contrary to instructions. The other two soldiers are expected to be charged with pointing loaded weapons at members of the public.
The Financial Times reports that household spending on mobile phones in the UK fell for the first time last year, according to an Ofcom report. The 2 percent fall, to STG31.72 per month, was attributed by the media regulator to price cutting by telecoms companies as competition grew more fierce.
The paper also reports that two senior executives have left Alcatel-Lucent, ten months after the two telecommunications equipment suppliers merged. Mike Quigley, the Australian once tipped to be chief executive of the French group, and Frank D'Amelio, the former Lucent executive who was put in charge of integrating the two companies, have both resigned. D'Amelio is leaving to become chief financial officer at Pfizer, while Quigley is returning to his native Australia.
The Wall Street Journal says that social-networking site Facebook is working on a new advertising system that would allow marketers to target users with ads based on the information people reveal about themselves on the site. Eventually it hopes to refine the system to allow it to predict what products and services users might be interested in, even before they have specifically mentioned an area. Facebook has made the new ad plan its top priority, according to sources. It aims to unveil a basic version of the service in late autumn.











Caped Koala Studios has built a virtual world for kids, combining education and social networking 